“competent authority”: the authority responsible for social security systems in all or part of the territory of each contracting party; in other words, with regard to the United Kingdom, the Secretary of State for Social Services, the Department of Health and Social Services for Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man Board of Social Security, as the case, and, in the case of New Zealand, the Social Security Commission; The Convention only applies to any legislation relating to a branch of social security that is not covered by the legislation covered by paragraph 1 of this article if both parties reach an agreement to that effect. They must take into account the terms of the corresponding agreement to define the rules in force – the relevant agreement is the agreement between the UNITED Kingdom and the country in which the worker has contributed (although the situation may be more complex in three or more countries). In general, these agreements provide that the migrant must pay NIC, unless all these agreements are based on the concept of shared responsibility. Responsibility-sharing agreements are reciprocal. Under each agreement, partner countries make concessions to their social security qualification rules so that those covered by the agreement have access to payments that they may not be eligible for. The responsibility for social security is thus distributed among the countries in which a person has lived during his or her working years and where the person is able to obtain potential rights. In general, it is possible to access a pension from one country in the second country, although the paying country retains some discretion with regard to the exchange and delivery mechanisms used. New Zealand has bilateral social security agreements with several countries. Any agreement allows New Zealanders access to certain benefits or pensions in the event of a reversal in those countries and allows people who settle in New Zealand to have established social security reciprocity through the social security agreement signed in Wellington on 19 June 1969; New Zealand and the United Kingdom have reached an agreement on social security.

The agreement includes the following benefits and pensions: If you are normally self-employed in a country with an applicable social security contract with the UK and you will also be self-employed in the UK, you may not be required to pay a UK NIC. Instead, you can stay in your home country. Even if you do not use benefits in the UK or if you are only here for a short period of time, you normally cannot recover NIC if you leave, unless it was paid in error (for example. B you paid UK NIC if the agreement provided that you should have paid in your home country). New Zealand and South Korea have also signed a social security agreement. This will come into effect in 2021. For migrants subject to reciprocal agreement, contributions to social security authorities in the United Kingdom and the country of origin under the agreement are counted when determining the right to benefits payable by each country. The agreement contains detailed rules for different types of benefits and information on whether a worker is receiving benefits from the UK or his country of origin. If you are seconded to the UK from an EEA country or Switzerland, please read what happens if I am a seconded worker from the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland?. The answers to the following questions assume that you are from a non-EEA/Switzerland country with which the UK has a bilateral social security agreement. Australia currently has 31 bilateral international social security agreements.

This Convention does not apply to the social security legislation of the Council of the European Communities or to a social security agreement concluded by a party with a third party, nor to laws or regulations that amend the legislation covered in paragraph 1, point l), this article for the purpose of: